Attachment based play therapy to build healthy relationships with adoptive families
March 8, 2019
In this 3-hour interactive workshop, clinicians will learn how to explore clients through the lens of attachment theory, gaining a new understanding of how children and families interact and bond to one another in healthy vs maladaptive ways. We will explore how trauma, abuse, and neglect impact the bonds of attachment within the family system and how the power of using attachment-based play therapy activities and interventions can help build and foster healthy relationships between child-parent. The presenter, Sabra Starnes will weave in her personal and professional experiences as an adoptive mom and as a transracial adoptee.
- Describe Developmental Trauma Disorder as a way of understanding the complex challenges faced by both children and caregivers when doing attachment-based play therapy.
- Evaluate the four key concepts of attachment theory and how these concepts apply to attachment centered play therapy.
- Compare various attachment play centered interventions for use with insecurely attached families.
- Implement play therapy interventions to foster engagement with parents in order to repair and enhance the parent-child relationship.
- Analyze attachment theory as it applies to play therapy to provide integrated therapeutic treatment.
- Understand the role of the therapist as secure base to the family system with the ultimate goal of strengthening all aspects of the systems functioning in attachment-based play therapy sessions.
Presenter: Sabra Starnes, LICSW, LCSW-C, RPT-S
Where: : Crossroads Family Counseling Center, LLC
3611 Chain Bridge Rd, Suite C
Fairfax, VA 22030
When: March 8, 2019
The program offers 3.0 contact hours in Play Therapy. Full attendance is required. CFCC is approved by the Association for Play Therapy to offer continuing education specific to play therapy. APT Approved Provider 13-360.
Co-sponsored by the Virginia Association for Play Therapy.
$80.00 Early Bird Registration by February 8, 2018 by 11:59pm
$85.00 Regular Registration by March 1, 2019 by 11:59pm
$90.00 After March 1, 2019 and at On Site Registration (space not guaranteed)
$50.00 student rate if ID presented at door.
About the presenter:
Sabra Starnes is a Clinical Social Worker who has been practicing for 21 years in the DMV area. She worked for 13 years in the District of Columbia Public School System as a School Social Worker.
She is the founder of Next Place Therapy Services a private practice that has offices in Largo, Maryland and Washington, DC.
She became a Registered Play Therapist in 2003. And a Registered Play Therapist Supervisor in 2015. Sabra’s trainings are engaging, humorous and fun. She has a strong passion for educating and supporting clinicians to become effective and highly skilled play therapists.